Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday Night Pantry Meal: Wine Poached Tilapia and Olive-Caper Rustic Sauce




I make a lot of pantry meals. That is, meals that come from whatever is in the pantry or freezer. I've written about this before. I'm a fan of pantry meals because I hate grocery shopping. And if you're smart about what you buy to keep in storage, you can have a nice meal anytime without worrying about wasting or spoilage or going to the store.

I was on the phone with Mr. Roganista this afternoon while I was at work and he was at home on his "Staycation".  He itemized for me the proteins in the freezer: Tilapia, prawns, pork tenderloin, steak. I had entirely too much food this weekend, going out to dinner Saturday and Sunday with friends. That meant lots of great wine and plenty of red meat in the way lamb the first night and steak the second night. So tilapia it was.

I came home, threw the fish in some foil with a few splashes of the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc we were drinking. Added garlic and seasoned it with a bit of salt and pepper. Put it in the a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes. In a pan I sauteed some green onion, garlic, and shallots that I had purchased for another meal a week before. I added black olives and capers and put it in a bowl. Added more olive oil and waited for the fish to finish. 

Served it with some processed (yikes!) Uncle Bens 90-second Rice Pilaf that were samples from Mr. Roganista's client (we have a ton of the stuff). Added some raisins to it. Steamed some broccoli, and voila. A pantry dinner. No need to go to the grocery when you can just scrounge around in the old cupboards for flavors.

It was a nice evening after the rain. So we ate on the deck and watch the sun set behind the Masonic temple on 15th Street.

 


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

View My Stats