Sunday, March 07, 2010

Olive Oil Cake

I made  olive oil cake this weekend. We had a bunch of fresh pineapple from my mom, and it had to be eaten.  I pureed it and made a sauce and baked* the cake as a delivery system for the pineapple. It turned out dense with a slight crust, more like a scone or torte than a cake. It wasn't too sweet, and went really well with the pineapple.

The cake recipe called for  3/4 cup of good olive oil--that's a lot of oil (good or bad)! And while the recipe required baking in special ramekins and the use of lemon zest, I improvised with a tart and cake pan and grapefruit.






*As you may know, I do NOT bake (save for macarons).

This recipe was easy enough that a caveman I could do it.

{Click recipe to print}

For the pineapple sauce...

Puree three cups of fresh pineapple, adding 1/4 cup of orange juice in blender. Put puree mixture in a sauce pan with 1/3 cup of water and 1/2 a cup of brown sugar and brought the whole thing to a boil. The cake is reminiscent of a scone, so the moisture and sweetness of the sauce really adds to it!

3 comments:

Eileen said...

glad you're having a fab weekend. j tells me i look homeless when i belt my big sweaters. whatever..he looks like a lumberjack right now..nuff said.

Olive Oil Sources said...

While searching on the Internet regarding olive oil, I visited your blog.
D.C. Eat is very good and well managed. I got a lot of useful information. You have done a great job, so keep it up.

Faith | UPrinting said...

Wow, it's a yum-yum. I tried your recipe just a while ago and man, it is so delicious. My brother almost ate all which means it is oh so yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

View My Stats