Monday, May 21, 2007

I Made This! Sauteed Calamari and Linguine with Tomato Basil Raw Sauce

(I know, this doesn't look amazing, but it tasted pretty fantastic!)

After months of eating out almost every night, I've decided to get back to cooking. I love cooking as much as I love eating. However cliche or maudlin this may sound, there's something spiritual and nourishing about preparing a meal. I stopped by the grocery store on my walk home from work and picked up some fresh squid, parmigiano, linguine, and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.

I wanted to make a light Italian meal with simple little courses. In this case, I could only muster up two. And I'm not sure they're entirely Italian or in the proper order. Here's what I did:

Primo (the first course): Sauteed fresh whole calamari with garlic and a side of asparagus.

Trimmed the asparagus and sauteed them in garlic and olive oil. Removed them from the pan. I then dusted the raw squid with a little flour and seasoned lightly with salt and pepper. Sauteed it in the same olive oil until slightly brown.

Secondo (the second course): linguine dressed with basil, garlic and tomato raw sauce

I coarsely chopped and squeezed the tomatoes into a bowl and added to them chopped fresh garlic, a bunch of torn fresh basil, a generous grating of parmigiano reggiano, and about two tablespoons of olive oil. Then added the warm pasta to the ingredients. The heat from the cooked pasta wilted the basil slightly and softened the tomatoes, which readily yielded their juices. Added some red pepper flakes and more parmigiano before serving.

What a simple and gratifying Monday night meal. You should try it. Email me if you need the exact recipe...but I do everything by sight and taste, so I would only be guessing...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

View My Stats