Wednesday, August 05, 2009

You can't get fresher than squash blossoms.

Garden-fresh is so nice. Whatever my mother has growing in her lovely kitchen garden, I'll turn into something. I picked these lovely little squash blossoms the other weekend.




Squash blossoms (the flowering part of a zucchini or squash vine) are a treat generally unavailable to all but home gardeners and habitués of farmers markets. They’re so extraordinarily perishable that few supermarkets bother trying to keep them in stock.







Here's what I did with them, along with the acorn squash they were growing with.


Washed and dried the blossoms. Sliced the squash into thick fries......made a batter of 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, and 1/2 cup beer. ...then fried everything in a half an inch of very hot vegetable oil. Get the full recipe here.





I also made a Caprese salad out of the tomatoes I picked (also from Mom's garden) and the basil (the mint you see was for a cold sauce for the lamb) from my deck. Added some bufala mozzarella from the Italian Store...





Grilled up a couple racks of lamb we had in the freezer (thawed and marinated hours earlier).



And the garden fresh summer dinner was done. Try squash blossoms whenever you can. They're tender and delicate and a nice little treat.


*UPDATE: Reader "Gay Andy" used this batter to fry tilapia in peanut oil. He said it turned out amazingly.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

View My Stats